Hot Keys

Got any ideas?

Hot Keys

Postby Alaster » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:26 am

I think it would be nice if hot keys were added back into the game. They were removed to dissuade people from botting, but it is just as easy to use a mouse recorder to perform the same actions. Hot keys make it faster for people to skill legitimately.
Alaster
Mature

Re: Hot Keys

Postby Dogma » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:26 pm

It has been debated, but imo now I think a certain fairness factor comes into play... All the people that have been forced to skill without hotkeys since their removal... would not be fair to them to just put them back in all of a sudden. Just my opinion however... I agree people can just as easily use the mouse to cheat. And I will crack down on anyone I catch doing so. Just wanted to state my opinion on it though, it is the higher powers that must decide ;)
Dogma
Administrator

Postby Lopsided » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:57 pm

We shouldn't let this game's mechanics and playstyle sit in the rock ages forever just because the veterans came up that way. Was adding Clvl into the game unfair because people came up hard before it? Not all progress and change is bad. For the love of god, yes to hotkeys.
Lopsided
Young Adult

Postby Alaster » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:14 pm

Dogma wrote:It has been debated, but imo now I think a certain fairness factor comes into play... All the people that have been forced to skill without hotkeys since their removal... would not be fair to them to just put them back in all of a sudden. Just my opinion however... I agree people can just as easily use the mouse to cheat. And I will crack down on anyone I catch doing so. Just wanted to state my opinion on it though, it is the higher powers that must decide ;)

I have leveled both ways legitimately. I do not think it is unfair.
Alaster
Mature

Postby Lopsided » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:38 am

As have I, sir. As well as many "old" members of this community. Most of the decisions this community makes based on the 'old times' of this game are based upon structures newer than they originated themselves. As such, their arguments are as null as those before them. This topic, as many others, deserves notice and action as well as many others to come.
Lopsided
Young Adult

Postby Fingolfin » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:59 am

Meh, I don't really agree with the whole fair vs unfair motion here. But I find the whole reasoning from the topic starter rather strange. Just because people can macro easy with a mouse too it means we have to bring back something which made that even easier? Is it just me or is this a bit odd?
Fingolfin
Young Adult

Postby Seohyun » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:07 pm

Cheaters will cheat. It doesn't matter whether there are hotkeys are not. IMO, if people are cheating then we should ban cheaters, not inflict carpal tunnel on the entire userbase. Frankly, if the metrics of 'difficulty' for skilling is measured by the annoyance of navigating a clunky outdated user interface to actually skill, then we've not only pushed people further away from the skill, and consequently the game, but we've also robbed our players of a fulfilling game experience. Game difficulty should be defined through gameplay, not interfacing with the game. Interfacing should always be user friendly.

As for the 'fair' vs 'unfair' debate that pops up in every development thread - If we don't want the game to move forward, why have we even reached out to Punisher? Does no one remember what it felt like to run the updater and log in to a game with new realms to explore or new items to collect?
Seohyun
Young

Postby Alaster » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Fingolfin wrote:Meh, I don't really agree with the whole fair vs unfair motion here. But I find the whole reasoning from the topic starter rather strange. Just because people can macro easy with a mouse too it means we have to bring back something which made that even easier? Is it just me or is this a bit odd?

[sarcasm]...cause that was the reason for the topic. I totally want hot keys brought back to make cheating easier. Yep, you got me there.[/sarcasm]

I was simply stating why they were removed and why it was idiotic to remove them. It didn't prevent anyone from cheating; it just meant they had to use a mouse recorder instead of a gaming keyboard. If you haven't gotten the point yet, let me spell it out for you. There. Was. No. Real. Reason. To. Remove. Hot. Keys. From. The. Game.
Alaster
Mature

Postby Demon Killa » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:28 pm

As has been stated above, cheaters will do so whether hot keys are in or not.

I suffer from stiff finger joints (arthritis in my future possibly), and hot keys would be an improvement for me physically.

But I've played all these years without them, so I'm not pushed either way.

Vigilance by Mods, Admins and the Community is the real protection against cheating imo.

Have a nice day ;)
Demon Killa
Adult

Postby Dogma » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:59 am

I will discuss it with Thoth. I have leveled both ways as well. And agree with most said here... Was just stating a fairness issue for those that didn't have the luxury of being an original player, but I do feel it should be up for the players to voice what they desire, and go from there. Which is what I have seen here :) As for cheater... yes... they will find ways to cheat, and only mods/admins can truly protect against that. So lets see what Thoth has to say regarding the issue, but many valid points here and nice to see active feedback.
Dogma
Administrator

Next

Return to Development