Purposeful Personal Light Sources

This is where you dump your brainfarts if you want to flesh them out with the rest of the community

Moderator: Teamleader | Carune Online

Purposeful Personal Light Sources

Postby Doompuppet » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:18 am

Light sources...

:D

The reason I say "Purposeful" light sources is that while light may be cast by certain items (a sword with dust, whatever) I'd suggest items specifically carried by a player *to* light areas.

They might have a greater radius, more light shed, non-colored light (so as to clearly see instead of being awash in purple) etc.

The idea being, naturally, the equivilent of bringing a flashlight. It's just good sense if you want to avoid dying horribly.

Here's the fun part... on my own game, which is entirely text-based, I give away "Jack O' Lanterns" every Halloween.

They're fully functioning light sources, enabling players to see in "dark" areas like a common lantern or candle would.

So essentially there can be more to a personal light source than just "I bought a lantern. Whee."

You could have special event drop light sources like flaming skulls, jack o' lanterns, fireflies in a jar (imagine them as particles in a clear jar model. Cool!) etc. etc. etc.

Essentially, I'm just saying... it'd be nice to have something to see better in caverns and at night(?) - why not make it fun, too?

They could need oil or not, depending on coder preference. I think we can all agree to look past the "unreal" nature of an everlasting lantern when faced with that or no lantern at all. :)

As always, I have to note that, yes, this may already have been suggested or even IN the game since I haven't been able to play, and hope to have a speedier connection by the time Anathema is completed. :B
Doompuppet
Developer | Carune Online

Re: Purposeful Personal Light Sources

Postby MVM » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:35 pm

This make sense, absolutely agreed. Some sort of lightsource attached to the player make it more effective and means we do not need to add a lot of extern lightsources that brings down the fps - as i personally dont like static light - especially for caves,indoors environments and similarly areas etc... I have thinking about that too and glad you bringing that up - so yes. To make it short ( my english is limited, i think everybody knows that by now - or already ) :P ...great idea and for the fun part...you need some fuel like oil that you mensioned sounds great too and all other little details you were talking about...i like it :) I will discuss this with the rest of the team...Great Doompuppet :D
MVM
Teamleader | Carune Online

Re: Purposeful Personal Light Sources

Postby Doompuppet » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:36 am

Cool, glad I hit on something good. :)

And... you know... maybe Minotaur fat burns really well, right? ;) Heh.
Doompuppet
Developer | Carune Online

Return to Brainstorms