Small code update

Our development team will announce the needed information here.

Moderator: Teamleader | Carune Online

Small code update

Postby Dekker3D » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:47 pm

Hey all..
I've been away for a while. I'm back-ish now. So far, I have outfitted our default NeoAxis install (of 0.91, the one we're trying to port to) with an SQLite database system. Or at least, it can read and write simple tables and data to and from a file on disk. The problem with my previous attempt was that any real SQL implementation requires the database software to be installed-.. SQLite is its own database software. So, sharing it across our SVN is easy as pie.
It also discards faulty data and automatically fills missing tables with default data, due to the way I've written the first few steps. There's a whole lot to do, but it's a nice first step. Certainly better than xml or a custom file format.

Yes. I am coding again. And I may actually like it. :)

-- edit --
It writes down account names and passwords for now. It also has a convert-password-to-MD5 function, so we can securely store any passwords. It also means we'll have default admin accounts for the team members who want that kind of responsibility, which is nice.
Dekker3D
Elder

Re: Small code update

Postby Zelena » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:02 am

Awesome work Dekker :D
Zelena

Postby Dekker3D » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:56 am

Thanks, Zelena!

New update: login attempts are verified now. Passwords are sent to the server and then converted to MD5. They are never stored as plaintext, not even in the logs, though a RAM or network traffic reading application could still find them, if timed correctly.

A login attempt with correct name and password will go through. One with a wrong password but existing name will be rejected. One with a wrong name will have a new account created, with the given name and password, and passed on through.
Dekker3D
Elder

Postby XanderCole » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:04 pm

Sweet so its set up the same as BM, at least as far as account creation/log in. Awesome work Dekker, Keep it up!
XanderCole
Young Adult

Postby Dekker3D » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:30 pm

Well, there's two differences: First, BM had a confirmation when creating a new account. I don't have that yet. Second, (I just confirmed with Thoth), BM does not use MD5 hashes to protect its users' passwords. Other than that, yeah. Kind of. I liked the system it used.

I could also implement a web interface much, much later, when I have time or we have more coders than we know what to do with.

Anyway, just to clarify: MD5 hashing means that your passwords will be unreadable to anyone else. Including the admins and any hackers. The admins will still be able to change your password to one of your choice though, and an automatic system could be added to the login screen at some point.
Dekker3D
Elder

Return to Announcements